Job Description: Landscape Intern
Whitham Planning & Design LLC, located in Ithaca, NY, takes on 2-3 interns each summer.
Job Description: Landscape Planning & Design Internship 2018
Whitham Planning & Design LLC, located in Ithaca, NY, is seeking a full-time Landscape Architecture Intern with an interest in engaging in design and planning with our small, fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative firm. Our responsibilities include planning, site design, and coordination of projects at a range of scales, the majority of which are based in upstate New York. Experience in landscape design, project research, and project coordination for small, mid-size, and large development projects is preferred. The ideal candidate will have at minimum 2-3 years’ educational experience, and will have worked in some capacity in a landscape architecture firm.
- Design, management, and production of drawings for projects of different scales and different stages in the design process;
- Compilation of targeted project research and analysis into text documents and/or design solutions;
- Preparation of verbal, visual, and oral presentations for clients, municipal staff and boards, community members, etc.;
- Coordination between clients, consultant teams, and manufacturers;
- Preparation of cost estimates for upcoming projects
- Preparation of building permit, zoning, Site Plan Review, SEQR, etc. documentation and applications
- A professional Landscape Architecture degree, complete or in progress
- Demonstrated ability in Site Planning and Design, Design Detail
- Strong design and writing skills
- Clear communication, organization, and presentation skills
- Effective time management ability with attention to detail
- Other degrees in allied design disciplines, such as in planning or architecture
- Experience with municipal review processes, including Site Plan, SEQR/A, and Zoning Review
- Project experience
Required Software Fluency:
- AutoCAD to create site, layout, landscape, and detail plan sheets;
- Microsoft Word to write professional memos and other documents;
- Microsoft Excel to create budget spreadsheets, plant lists, etc.;
- Adobe InDesign to create presentations, submission packages, documents, etc.;
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator to create diagrams, sections, renderings, etc.
Desired Software Fluency:
- Google SketchUp to create site models, renderings, animations, etc.
- Working knowledge of online applications
The position will require approximately 40 hours per week, with the potential for evening meetings.
Candidates are required to submit a resume, cover letter, portfolio (no more than 10 MB), and writing sample. Please send inquiries and application materials to Kathryn Chesebrough at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately. We look forward to reviewing your work.