WPD is accepting résumés for two positions:
Landscape Designer, full-time
Office Manager, part-time (to start)
The ideal applicants are curious and well-rounded, with an interest in a broad range of project management, landscape architecture, and planning and design tasks at our small, dynamic, and collaborative firm based in downtown Ithaca, NY.
Landscape Designer Position
- Design, management, and production of drawings for large and small-scale projects during all stages of the design process, from conceptual development through construction documentation;
- Compilation of targeted project research and analysis into text documents and/or design solutions;
- Preparation and delivery of verbal and visual presentations to client, municipal, and community audiences;
- Coordination between clients and consultant teams;
- Preparation of project proposals, contracts, and cost estimates;
- Preparation of Site Plan Review, SEQR, Zoning, and other approvals and entitlements documentation;
- This position will require approximately 40 hours per week, with some evening meetings.
- A professional Landscape Architecture degree;
- Minimum 2-3 years’ work experience, full-time or combined with internships, in a professional U.S. design firm;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize site research and concept development into site planning and design, design detail, and project development, management, and coordination;
- Expert communication, organization, and presentation skills;
- Experience with public design review processes, including public outreach, Site Plan, SEQR, and/or Zoning Review;
- Ability to self-direct and collaborate with project teams;
- Fluency in: AutoCAD to create site, layout, landscape, and detail plan sheets; Adobe Creative Suite for presentations, submission packages, diagrams, as well as plan, section, and perspective renderings, and other documents. Desired fluency in Google SketchUp to create site models.
WPD supports healthy, balanced lifestyles for all employees, encouraging professional development at all stages of your career, including during pursuit of licensure. This position offers a highly-competitive compensation; a suite of medical, vision, and dental insurance; an optional 401(k) Plan; company phone and computer; paid time off; a collegial office culture.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, portfolio, and professional writing sample to Kate Chesebrough, Senior Designer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin on July 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. We look forward to reviewing your work.
Office Manager position
• Providing pro-active administrative support to Principal and staff, including writing, editing, and proofreading proposals and contracts, meeting minutes and materials, correspondence, presentations, and more;
• Office management, including interfacing with building property management and vendors;
• Working with bookkeeper, perform accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, including tracking status of current proposals;
• Manage and direct phone traffic and interact with visitors;
• Manage incoming and outgoing mail, email, and packages;
• Maintain appearance of lobby, kitchen, and design library;
• Coordinate office calendar, maintain meeting schedules, and assist in planning events for clients and staff;
This position will require 20-25 hours per week to start, and could grow to full-time within next few years.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; degree in Landscape Architecture or allied design, architecture ,or planning fields a plus;
- Minimum 2-3 years of full-time work experience;
- Excellent verbal communication and organization skills;
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct and collaborate with project teams;
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel, Google Calendar and Gmail;
- Knowledge of Quickbooks and Adobe Acrobat and InDesign.
WPD supports healthy, balanced lifestyles for all employees, encouraging professional development at all stages of your career. This part-time position offers a 401(k) option and a collegial office culture.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, CV, and professional references to Anissa Sanford and Mary Lorson at email@example.com. Application review will begin on July 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. We look forward to reviewing your application materials.
About Whitham Planning & Design
Whitham Planning & Design (WPD) is a landscape architecture, planning, and project management firm located in Ithaca, New York. Established in 2010, the firm provides a broad range of services, including landscape architecture, project and approvals planning, and design team coordination. WPD has developed strong relationships with professionals in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, planning, engineering, media outreach, and graphic design, and coordinates team efforts designed to meet specific project requirements. We are deeply engaged members of our community through our professional and volunteer work. Our staff enjoy a bright and beautiful office in the center of vibrant and growing downtown Ithaca, NY. Our firm believes in a collaborative, open-minded, and creative work environment supporting the development of professional skills and leadership in our field.
About Ithaca, NY
Ithaca is a small yet influential and cosmopolitan city set among the waterfalls at the foot of Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes region of New York. Home to Cornell University, Ithaca College, and a lively cultural community, Ithaca is near one of the foremost U.S. wine regions, in addition to earning over 100 “Best Of” accolades.